1. YAKIMA APPLEJAM - Battle of the Bands is open to all musical genres and styles. No obscene or offensive lyrics are allowed. Inappropriate lyrics, clothing or behavior will result in immediate disqualification.
2. Participants may enter together as a group, or as a solo performer. Bands and vocalists will compete together and scored separately.
3. BOTH the BAND and SINGER/SONGWRITER contest occur between 4:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. July 4th, 2019
- Rule clarification:
Previous years have had the solo and the student performers earlier in the day. We believe that some of the best performances were not able to be seen by the majority of the festival goers, so we are having both contests simultaneously and we will alternate solo, band, solo, band and so on through the evening.
4. An entrant may change their entry up until midnight May 23rd, 2019.
5. In order to enter, contestants must submit an entry on YakimaAppleJam.com by May 16, 2019, which must include a link to the band/performer’s music online, as well as the name of the band/performer. (contact info, will NOT be posted online)
6. The entry must contain a brief description of the band to be used on the contest webpage.
7. Artists under 18 must have parent's or guardian's permission.
8. By entering online, you are agreeing to have your link/music posted on the official YAKIMA APPLEJAM Battle of the Bands voting contest page, where voters will go online from May 29th at Noon – June 12th, 2019 to listen to the contestants and choose their favorites. The top finalists will be contacted and announced on June 20th, 2019.
9. The finalists will be determined by the number of online votes with the final decision being made by the promoters, sponsors and media partners.
10. No fewer than 4 and no more than 5 finalists in the online MAIN STAGE will advance to the live contests on July 4th, 2019.
11. No fewer than 4 and no more than 5 finalists in the online SINGER / SONGWRITER will advance to the live contests on July 4th, 2019.
12. If fewer than 5 total artists complete the online portion of the contests, all contestants may advance to the live round at the promoters’ or venue’s discretion.
13. Measures will be in place to discourage voting fraud. Ballot stuffing is not allowed. Any band that is caught encouraging ballot fraud may be disqualified. A band encouraging fans to vote is NOT FRAUD.
14. Although the software and voting methods are generally thought to be accurate, no guarantee is made or implied. Voting is non-scientific and considered to be for entertainment purposes.
15. The online voting is intended to pick the winners, but the media partners and sponsors reserve the right to pick finalists and are not bound by the results of the initial online balloting.
16. This is not a contract to play live and there is no obligation. The top finalists from the online voting contest may be asked to play the live concert finale on Wednesday, July 4, 2019 starting at 12:00 pm.
17. SINGER / SONGWRITERS will have 25 minutes to set up and perform. BANDS chosen to play live will have 35 minutes to set up, play and tear down. Bands may have helpers set up and tear down. Details will be made available to bands that proceed to the finals. Time will be made available for a sound check and will not be counted against total time.
18. The top finalists chosen for the live competition must complete a contestant packet and sign a release form for pictures prior to competing at the final event.
19. Judges have the final decision in selecting winners at the live final concert. The judging panel may consist of several figures from outside the local area.
20. Judging at the final competition is based on:
• Musical ability- vocal/instrumental skill, fluidity, intonation
• Originality- quality original material or quality interpretation of covers
• Professionalism- set-up and breakdown time, introductions, acknowledgement
• Stage presence/style- confidence, dynamics
• Crowd Online Voting
21. The panel of judges will vote on a scale from 1-10 in each of the categories. All scores will be added up and the sum will be the band’s final score.
22. Judges will be given ten minutes at the end of the contest to reassess performances and the re-rating will be listed clearly on a separate line.
23. The band with the highest total points after re-rating will be deemed the winner and a prize of $500 will be awarded. The solo show winner will be awarded $500. An additional $500 prize will be awarded to the overall winner. The OVERALL winner shall be determined by the judges and an online vote.
24. Additional prizes for 2nd, 3rd and other places may be given out, but are not guaranteed and will be at the promoter’s discretion.
25. The offer to play at the Central Washington State Fair for the student and main stage winners is conditional upon the Central Washington State Fair and the performer agreeing to terms of the performance..
26. All rules are subject to change at promoter's discretion. Changes will be labeled and dated on YakimaAppleJam.com
Rules updated: Wednesday, June 10th, 2019. - Reference to “sing your way in” removed.